Sami Burr

I came into my undergrad years not really sure what I wanted to study. I started in Engineering, but quickly discovered that wasn't a good fit. The program was incredible but I just wasn't able to develop and share my own personal talents. 

My Foundations of Theology course, taught impeccably well by a doctoral student, settled the question. I was good at Theology, I was being challenged in exciting ways in Theology, and I discovered that the world needs theologians. 

It was in my second theology course, where an incredible cross section of engineers, scientists, business students and arts and letters majors came together, that I realized the world needs a better understanding of theology in all areas of life. If we are truly going to live as Catholics, as Christians, we need to understand who Jesus was and what he reveals about God to us. We need to understand what the Church is and how it carries on the mission of Christ. We need to understand what are own personal vocation is, and how each of us has a unique call to grow closer to the Lord and help others grow closer as well. 

Not everyone will be a theology major, but at a Catholic university, students should leave with the understanding that theology is a serious study that merits some consideration by all of us, because we are all called to grow closer to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment