Alison Quinn (Letter to Fr. Jenkins)

Rev. John Jenkins, C.S.C.,

I’m writing to discuss the current review of the core curriculum that the University of Notre Dame is undergoing and the chance of the elimination of the two required theology courses.

I am an alumna of the class of 2014 and a current graduate student of the Department of Theology. I write this not as a theology student but as a student of Notre Dame. At the university, I was active in many places, most being outside of Campus Ministry or Theology.  I like to believe that I took full potential of my Notre Dame experience and I would like to thank your administration for making this possible.

I must take this time to remind you, Father Jenkins, of something you said in August 2010. I was a nervous freshman and left home for the first time. The final day of Frosh-O included, the class mass. Much like the Baccalaureate Mass this past May, the class of 2014 sat on the floor with our families and loved ones watching from above. In August 2010, you told our class that Notre Dame will provide us the opportunity for education. Though this seemed like an obvious statement, you went further on to explain the root of educate, to draw out. You told me and the rest of my class of scared freshman that Notre Dame will draw out of us our best selves if we allow it. Father Jenkins, you were right.

At Notre Dame, I became a person I was proud of. At Notre Dame, I learned from many experiences and mistakes. At Notre Dame, I was allowed to explore, grow, and form into the best person I could be. Father Jenkins, much of this is because of what you said. I fear for the day where the first and second theology requirements are not really theology department classes but “Catholic Studies”. I fear because when I took my first theology, I stubbornly fell in love. I was a freshman determined to study Pre-Professional Studies in the College of Arts and Letters. Yet, my professor, because he was in the department of theology, encouraged me to explore. He did this not because I succeeded in his class, but because he saw something in me that I was unwilling to see. Through the department of Theology, I was able to uncover my vocation, to realize where God was working in my life. Through the first two theology requirements, I realized more about my faith and my life so much so that I am continuing my studies.

I realize my story is not universal. I understand there are students at the university who are not Catholic or do not have the call to study theology. However, the two requirements of theology allow space for all of us to grow. It gives a base knowledge to the civil engineer and starts the beginning for someone like me. It exposes the entire community to theology. Simone Weil writes that it is in the pursuit of Truth that the world makes sense. Truth with a capital T, leads to the little t truths of the world. Theology exposes the entire student community to Truth, thereby allowing them to make sense of truths in other areas of study. Theology is our faith seeking understanding (St. Anslem), but it also allows understanding to seek faith.

The two required theology courses create the space for students such as me, who would have been too stubborn to take a real theology class, to finally listen. I had to take that first theology class, and I thank God for that. You told us that Notre Dame forms us into the best person we can be, it truly educates us. I agree and I would not be in the position I am in today without the theology requirements.

Notre Dame is a Catholic university, no one can argue with that. However, I worry we enter into dangerous territory when the university merely looks Catholic and does not integrate it into all areas including the core-curriculum.

Thank you, Father Jenkins, for taking the time to read this letter.

Alison Quinn
Class of 2014
Echo 11 - Parish Apprentice and Graduate Student of Theology
Diocese of St. Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment