Lee Marsh (Graduate Accounting Student)

I transferred to Notre Dame with a declared major in theology, so admittedly I enjoy the subject with academic interest. Nonetheless I never heard anyone complain about the core two course requirement - in fact, just the opposite. Whatever many thought about having to sign up for a first, then a second theology class, I think most students enjoyed them in the end. Some much more than that! As you are no doubt learning, many student lives were significantly impacted by their experiences in core theology courses. That alone ought to be a worthy reason for keeping them in place. The variety of offerings meant there was always something to interest everyone.

To be of interest, however, is not the reason Notre Dame has traditionally required all students to take at least two theology courses. Nor has "practicality" been the justification. In a Catholic anthropology, theological inquiry is an essential experience for every human being. If Notre Dame takes seriously our Church's tradition of faith illuminating reason, and reason purifying faith, then the University cannot move forward with one hand behind its back. The study of God sheds light on all the disciplines and endeavors undertaken in His created world.

I ultimately did not pursue a career in public ministry or teaching. I never set foot in a Mendoza classroom, but I am now a graduate student in accounting. Studying theology at Notre Dame, however, remains the most formative academic experience I have had. I bring a different perspective than those who were not so fortunate to have studied theology, and I know that it will make me a better accountant as well. 

In the interest of keeping this short, I will end with some words from Blessed Basil Moreau's Christian Education:

"Indeed, what would it matter to children to know how to read, write, calculate, or draw, or to learn a couple of ideas on history, geography, geometry, physics, and chemistry, if they are unaware of their duties to God, to others, and to society?"

1 comment:

  1. I transferred to Notre Dame with a declared major in theology, so admittedly I enjoy the subject with academic interest. Nonetheless I never heard anyone complain about the core two course requirement despacho de contadores publicos

    ReplyDelete