Joseph Grone

I am a proud alumnus of the University of Notre Dame, having received my BA in Theology in 2010 and my MA in Theology in 2012.  I care deeply for the University, and I am passionate about what the University can be.  However, I am concerned to hear that the Core Curriculum Review Committee would consider eliminating the Undergraduate Theology Requirement, especially when it is the stated goal of Notre Dame to "nurture the formation of the mind, body, and spirit."  Rather than being taken away, the presence of Theology in the Core must be enhanced.

The Mission Statement of the University of Notre Dame states, "As a Catholic university, one of its distinctive goals is to provide a forum where, through free inquiry and open discussion, the various lines of Catholic thought may intersect with all the forms of knowledge found in the arts, sciences, professions, and every other area of human scholarship and creativity."  If this is truly how we consider our mission, then we simply cannot afford to lose the one tangible tie to the "various lines of Catholic thought."  Where is the intersection of Catholic thought with the arts, sciences, and professions if there is no study of that Catholic thought in a detailed, comprehensive way?  Certainly, having studied catechetics and currently teaching in a Catholic high school, I recognize that Catholic thought can be integrated into other classes in a cross-curricular manner, providing a multi-faceted approach. Indeed, the Mission Statement does further acknowledge the need for this approach: "There is, however, a special obligation and opportunity, specifically as a Catholic university, to pursue the religious dimensions of all human learning." Yet if we don't contextualize these pursuits with deep, intentional consideration of the Catholic theological tradition, these steps become aimless, structures without a firm foundation.

There can be no true intersection between faith and reason if we abandon the application of reason to faith.

If Notre Dame can claim any impact on the world, I would argue that it is precisely because of the role Theology has played at the University.  There are plenty of schools that offer very effective instruction in business, science, engineering, the liberal arts, and so on, and many of them will seek to have an ethical framework for doing so.  However, this University claims to be Catholic, and this University claims that it is thus her responsibility to integrate that faith into every field of study, and so we do.  Bridges are built across disciplines in learning objectives and in conversation, but there is no greater bridge that can be built between theology and the other disciplines than to explicitly instruct students in both.  It's not only the prerogative of the University but the right of the students to experience a deep consideration of the Church's theology.  To require some subjects (Math, Science, Fine Arts, etc.) but not Theology is to inherently devalue Theology as a discipline, Theology's role in a Catholic education, and most of all the role Catholic theology plays at those intersections of faith and reason.  How can one take theological contributions seriously if it is not held on the same level as other 'serious' disciplines?

Speaking from personal experience, I simply would not be where I am today without the theological requirement at Notre Dame.  When I entered the University, I had a wide range of interests for my studies, even deciding that while I was interested in Theology, I would take on a major in anything but Theology.  It was my first year introductory Theology course with (then-doctoral candidate) John Perry that awakened a real passion in me and my second Theology course on Christian understandings of Sanctification with (then-doctoral candidate) Daria Lucas that helped me to see the depths that theology could go.  In every other class I took, I found myself actively considering the content more boldly and more rigorously through the eyes of faith.  Theology formed the focal point of the academic experience, where my knowledge and understanding could be placed around a solid center.  I will acknowledge that my case is by no means universal, but it demonstrates an important point: when the required courses in Theology are done well, it offers a truly holistic academic experience, one that upholds the Catholic humanistic notion that the individual only attains to perfection in the encounter with the divine.

And this, I believe, ought to be the true approach towards the theology requirement: enhance it. It is indeed my opinion that more classes should be added to the Theology requirement at Notre Dame, but at the very least, the classes that are present must be strengthened.  The unity of the curriculum would not merely be upheld, but rather elevated.  Increase the requirement, adjust the content, adjust the teaching rotation, but in no way should the Theology requirement be reduced or eliminated.

At the University of Notre Dame, the education in Catholic theology does hold and should continue to hold the place of utmost priority in the education of every student.  I beg you to uphold that prominence and not only retain the Undergraduate Theology Requirement, but to encourage measures to strengthen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment