Laura McCarty (Occupational Therapy)

I am a 2011 graduate of the University of Notre Dame. I majored in Theology and Psychology during my time there, and although Psychology was fascinating and valuable in its way, Theology held an additional benefit. It was a discipline of the whole person: as I liked to say, if studying Theology wasn't making you a better person, then there was something missing.

I am extremely grateful for the formation I received in my Theology major, which gave me a firm understanding of each person's inviolable dignity. I am currently in my last year of occupational therapy school, a discipline that values each person regardless of what their physical or cognitive abilities enable them to do in society. This perspective, although reinforced by my time in graduate school, was first planted in my heart by my Theology degree. I will always be very grateful for that. 

This is why I believe that removing the Theology requirements from the first-year curriculum would be a tragic disservice to the student body. Theology at Notre Dame is primarily Catholic in nature, but it is also a place for formation of consciences as well as fostering perspectives on the intrinsic value of humanity.

Please do not deny the nature and mission of Notre Dame by removing this requirement: it would be a step away from forming the compassionate and open-minded students that Notre Dame professes to send out into the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment