Caroline Cole (Architecture)

I graduated in 2012 with a major in architecture and a minor in theology. I came to Notre Dame because I wanted to study architecture at a Catholic school and be able to take theology courses in addition to my architecture classes. During my first few years, I saw architecture and theology as two separate things competing for my attention. At one point in the fall of my Sophomore year, I even considered switching out of architecture to be a theology major. I decided not to, however.

In my third and fourth years, I began to realize that there was a great deal of overlap in what I was learning in architecture and theology. The Classical architecture that is taught at Notre Dame is based on a philosophical foundation of objective goodness, truth, and beauty. Having a theological grounding in the concept of objective Truth vs. relativism helped me to better understand this aspect of Classical architecture. 

Conversely, some concepts that were first presented to me in architectural terms were later presented in a theological context. In particular, a class I took on Liturgical Theology with Prof. David Fagerberg helped me realize how important architecture can be theologically. In the Sacraments, the Lord comes to us through physical matter. As an architect, I have the opportunity to shape physical matter so that it will contribute to the right ordering of the world, and possibly even be an instrument of grace.

I am currently pursuing a career in sacred architecture, which lies at the intersection of architecture and theology. If I had studied one without the other, just architecture or just theology, I'm not sure that I would have ended up discovering the richness they give to each other. I am so grateful that I had the unique opportunity at Notre Dame to study both with excellent professors in each area.

I offer my personal experience as a reason to keep the theology requirement in the Core Curriculum. By studying theology, which is the Truth that all other disciplines participate in, students may come to see new aspects of other fields that they never would have encountered otherwise. Theology alone can unite all subject areas into a true university. Thank you for offering it to each and every student, and please, continue to do so in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment