Michelle Mowry (Law and Social Work)

I am a 2014 alumna studying social work and law at Washington University in St. Louis. I studied Sociology and French at ND. I am writing this testimonial in response to the possibility of changing the core curriculum at ND.

Over the course of my time at ND, I took three theology courses, two that were required and one that prepared me to work for Notre Dame Vision. Since leaving ND in May, I have spent a significant amount of time thinking about what sets ND apart from other universities. What sets ND apart is the theology and philosophy requirements that educate students in ways that they need, though they may not be aware of this need.

I was one of the many ND students who came to ND believing that my faith was rock solid and that I didn't need any theology courses to bolster it. However, what my theology courses gave me was the recognition that my faith needed more nurturing than what I was currently giving it. The third and final theology course that I took radically changed my life, showing me that I was living for myself instead of for others. Taking this theology course and subsequently working at Notre Dame Vision led me to a career in social work and law, where I will spend the rest of my life giving myself in service to others.

I could have spent four years at Notre Dame studying what I wanted to study, but this wouldn't have led me to discern my vocation. What theology at ND gave me was what I needed, though I wasn't aware of it. It helped me--and is still helping me-- to genuinely discern my vocation.

I think back to these courses almost daily, reflecting on the lessons they taught me that guide my life in meaningful ways. ND doesn't just give students what they ask for. It gives them what they need. Its mission to educate students holistically requires that it continue to meet this need, and theology is an integral part of this holistic education.

This is what sets ND apart from other universities. An education at ND is not just a product to be consumed. It is an opportunity to draw closer to God, to family, and to friends, and theology makes this possible.

As someone for whom theology opened doors that I didn't even know existed, I humbly ask you to reconsider changing the core curriculum at ND and to continue to go beyond giving students what they want and give them what they need. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment