Eileen Hoban (Science Business and Poverty Studies)

I am writing in response to the proposed changes to the Core Curriculum regarding minimizing or eliminating the current theology requirements. 

I am a junior Science Business major with a Poverty Studies minor. The theology requirement component of my education at Notre Dame is one of my most cherish aspects of the school. 

Last year I took Professor O'Malley's "Savoring the Mystery" course and it may sound cliche, but it changed my life. It was the first time my faith had been strengthened in an academic setting. I reference his course and the things I learned almost daily. On top of that, theology has given me a wider lenses to view my courses in other field such as science and math. 

Taking out the theology requirements would not only be detrimental to all students' faith lives, but also to their learning experience in all other fields. I strongly encourage you to rethink the proposal to minimize or eliminate the theology requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment