Elizabeth Owers (Medical Student)

I graduated from Notre Dame in May 2014 with a major in Science Pre-professional Studies and a minor in Catholic Social Tradition. I am currently a student at LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans. Having followed the recent events regarding potential changes to the curriculum with great interest, I wanted to share my thoughts specifically on the importance of the theology requirement.

As a pre-medical student, there is a very good chance that I would not have taken a theology course until my senior year, if at all, had it not been required. Yet my freshman introduction to theology class, taught by Dr. James VanderKam, opened my eyes to how much I enjoyed the discipline and led me to take some sort of theology course every semester during my time at Notre Dame. These classes were as challenging as my science classes, if not more, because they required a degree of spiritual engagement in addition to the intellectual rigor I experienced through the rest of the curriculum.

At its best, science is beautiful. In detailing physical, chemical, and biological processes, it gives a glimpse into the mind of the Creator who ordered the natural world. At its worst, though, it leads the student to believe that reason alone can answer every question, that human intellect precludes the need for faith in a higher power. Including theology classes in a science curriculum actively works against this latter perspective and instead provides a lens and vocabulary through which to appreciate and articulate the amazing creative power of God.

As a future physician, I am confident that my theology background will have a significant impact on the compassion and quality of care I will provide for my patients. It would be a shame for Notre Dame to deprive future students of the same opportunities to study God’s love for us so that they too might share it with those they will serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment