Patrick Clardy

While there are many things I have taken away from my Notre Dame education, many of the best (and most unexpected) benefits of that education came from courses that I took as part of the core curriculum. Included in these would be Irish language 1&2 and the two required theology courses. For reference, the classes I had were an introductory course taught by Shawn Colberg and a class on War, Peace, and Conscience, taught by a professor who lived at the Catholic Worker in South Bend. The lessons I learned in these courses have grown stronger with time. 

These courses gave me a comprehensive look at the Bible (I've kept my notes from Prof. Colberg's class, because it is the only place I've gotten a good explanation for many scripture passages) and fostered a deeper concern for the crises that face our world and my role as a Catholic, a Notre Dame graduate, and a human being in responding to those crises and living my faith.

An appreciation for the Catholic faith, both in word and in action, seems like an essential part of a Catholic education. This was not something I had the privilege of receiving during my primary and secondary education in the public school system. While I am a Catholic, I believe that the lessons taught by theology courses can help form the conscience, create social concern and inspire action, and stimulate independent thinking and a deeper sense of devotion for people of all faiths. These are lessons that just cannot be communicated in the same way in other disciplines. In fact, if I had the choice to change any part of the core education I received, I would have likely replaced my philosophy courses with additional theology courses to explore the unique coverage of this area that is available at Notre Dame.

I am not familiar with the impetus of the current discussions, but would strongly urge you to maintain the theology requirement in the core curriculum. It's one of the things that brought me to Notre Dame and an integral part of its identity.

God bless and GO IRISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment