Jessica Peek (Anthropology)

One of the major draws of attending the University of Notre Dame was its commitment to a Catholic identity and the intellectual development of the heart, as well as the mind. I had always been interested in the study of theology, but I initially thought it would remain a personal and private pursuit in my life. God had other plans however. 

I took my Foundations course during the second semester of my freshmen year and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed being able to grapple with questions of my faith in class discussions and in the papers I was writing for the class. My instructor, Jim Lee, was a graduate student, who was approachable and open to talking about the class as well as any question I might have about Catholicism. 

Even though I loved the course, having entered as an anthropology major, I actively threw myself into these courses for the next year. I didn’t get around to taking my second theology class until the fall semester of my junior year. Looking at the classes available I realized I was interested in so many areas of theology that I took two theology classes that semester. I am so blest to have had the audacity to tackle a course called “God,” taught by one of the few professors who could actually get away with teaching a class of that title and come close to covering that material. Fr. Brian Daley opened my eyes to major theologians such as Gregory of Nazianzus, Bonaventure, von Balthasar, and C.S. Lewis. I devoured these books and wanted more. I joked about going to do my homework for "God." 

My other course that semester was equally fascinating. Co-taught by Candida Moss and Brad Gregory, “Dying to Live Forever: Martyrs” showed me that theology could be such fun to study, even about a topic as grim as death. It was clear that these professors believed what they taught, that despite all the tragic stories of gruesome deaths, the martyrs died knowing that they would be rewarded with eternal life. This class would have been so different if it had been taught in a religious studies department, where the personal convictions of the instructors would not play out as clearly. I wanted to hear more from these professors of faith, from people who believed what they taught and taught what they believed. And so I was converted to the theology major.

Theology, as "faith seeking understanding,” was an important component of Notre Dame’s curriculum in my academic career and in my personal life. I would not have looked at those theology course listings if it had not been for the theology requirements, and I may not have realized that God was calling me to a life of service for the church. 

I recently was invited to speak on a panel about “Careers in Theology” at a local Catholic university. Here I am, called to speak to college students about the importance of studying theology. This is a topic I would not be qualified to speak on or as passionate about if it had not been for the Notre Dame theology requirements influencing my vocation. I hope future Domers will be given the opportunity to be nudged by God to see how God is calling them to live a life of faith, whether that means a theology major or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment