Jessie Kusina (Psychology and Gender Studies)

Notre Dame's identity and practices as a Catholic institution have profoundly shaped who I am as a person and the passions I pursue. While at Notre Dame I studied psychology and gender studies, yet theology shaped the lens through which I approached these two disciplines.

For instance, I pursued psychology because I want to do something meaningful with my career and help others lead healthy and joy-filled lives. This is because I recognize the inherent dignity in every human being, a belief grounded in the teaching that we are all created in God's image. Some people may never be exposed to such teachings if they do not ever have a theology course. Some people will never take a theology course if they are not required to do so.

The mission of Notre Dame is to shape the world's leaders who give themselves in service to society to bring about meaningful change. Theological thought is at the core of this mission, despite our major our career path.

To take away the theology requirement would erode the very foundation upon which Notre Dame builds its mission. This would be a great disservice to the world of which we are all a part, a world we are all called to serve during our time at Notre Dame and especially once we graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment