Meilia West (Architecture)

I came to Notre Dame, raised a Protestant, but living the life of an agnostic at best. I did not find the Introduction to Theology class to be intrusive or offensive, but entered it with the same interest and mental fervor as I did the Introduction to Philosophy required course (one could argue at length about the dynamic relationship of the two requirements together, but I leave that to those more learned than I). I then went on to take my second theology class while studying abroad in Rome (as part of the School of Architecture). The second class (building on the first), coupled with living and breathing the Church's history and Tradition, as well as God acting in my life in a very palpable way, lead to my gradual conversion. First, a conversion of heart, being lead to a simple yet unquenchable thirst to be united with Jesus; and second, being lead to the understanding in both heart and mind, that I could not find the complete Truth anywhere outside the Catholic faith.

In my last year at ND, I completed RCIA, and was received into the Church a few months before graduating. Post-graduation, I went on to work for a year and a half as a Catholic missionary with the Salesian order at an orphanage in Bolivia. My life in the Church is ever-growing, but I look back so fondly on my "required" theology courses from Freshman and Junior year; marveling at how God worked through Our Lady's University, and her curriculum - both in the core curriculum but also in the architecture school - to attract me to Himself.

To whomever might hear my plea, please do not remove Theology from the core curriculum of Notre Dame. I can truly say that my time and education at Notre Dame completely changed my entire being - not just in the challenging classes, first-class resources, and lifelong friends, but in my spiritual growth - a journey begun in an Introduction to Theology course... and book-ended with the gift of a stone-heart become flesh, through the reception of Jesus in the Eucharist.

Thank you for reading; I write you from a grateful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment