Max Wipson (Glynn Honors Program)

I didn't expect to be on this side, seeing as I'm not a very religious person, like at all, but I really hope Notre Dame doesn't drop the theology requirement. 

Though I didn't necessarily agree with or believe in everything that was taught in my theology classes, I'm glad I took them. I learned a lot more about religion (particularly Catholicism but it's applicable to other things) than I had in my 18 years prior to coming to Notre Dame and at the very least I can now give an informed opinion when people claim to use their faith to justify stubbornness or bigotry, and when others critical of religion raise an unfair or inaccurate point. 

I had a great professor, Dr. Francesca Murphy, for both of my classes and I got to do fun creative projects like my Star Wars illustrated Book of Mark from the first class and my movie about Paul in modern times from the second. I was able to have a class with my Glynn friends sophomore year, after we dispersed into our majors, and I got to have a class with Meg the next year even though she was bio and I was poli sci, right when we were becoming closer friends and, eventually, a couple. I learned about monks and popes and ecumenical councils, what Catholic people really believe, and even a little bit of architecture. 

Believe me, if these classes were just Sunday school, I wouldn't be arguing for them, but they integrate other disciplines like history and philosophy, just as my chosen major did, and I really do think they're an essential part of the Notre Dame experience. So, yeah, ‪#‎loveTHEOnotredame

No comments:

Post a Comment